- Bitcoin has enjoyed a YTD of over 40%.
- Gold has performed poorly and has yielded losses of 0.4%.
Thanks to April’s rally, Bitcoin(BTC) has become one of the best-performing assets out there, based on year-to-date (YTD) yield. BTC has outperformed legacy assets like gold, oil, real estate, Nasdaq, etc.
- Bitcoin’s April rally took it up from $4,130 to $5,300.
- Since BTC began the year at $3,760, this gives it a YTD of over 40%.
- Oil has been a top performing asset as the price of one barrel went up from $46.30 to $63.40 giving it a YTD of 37%.
- Before the spike, oil has been at historically low prices since a drop in prices in 2014.
- Price has been on the rise in 2019 because better than expected demand, in conjunction with OPEC production cuts and tightening US sanctions on Iran and Venezuela.
- The three major indices – Nasdaq, S&P 500, and Dow Jones have rallied since the Christmas Crash.
- All three indices crashed around Christmas by 10%.
- When it comes to YTD Nasdaq is up by 20.5%, Dow by 13.9%m and S&P by 15.9%.
- Investments by real estate investment trusts (REITs), which purchase income producing properties such as office buildings, hotels, and other real property have experienced growth.
- VNQ, The Vanguard Real Estate ETF, showed 17% YTD returns.
- Bonds and stocks tend to move opposite to each other. This is why, as the stock market has enjoyed increasing returns, bonds have not been that impressive.
- The iShares Core US Aggregate Bond ETF (AGG) has posted 2% YTD growth according to Bloomberg.
- Gold has underperformed since the beginning of 2019.
- Since January, gold has yielded YTD losses of 0.4%.